To be enjoyed, not endlessly discussed. It’s a phrase we use a lot.
Enjoyment because, well, isn’t that what drinking wine is supposed to be about? Enjoying a glass (or indeed a can) when the mood takes.
But we found quite a lot could get in the way of enjoying wine. Like feeling judged for holding your glass ‘the wrong way!’ or not knowing your Chateau Nerf De Pape from your Chateau Musar. We also found that wasting wine kind of got in the way of enjoying it! There’s nothing worse than the feeling of tipping a third of a bottle away because you didn’t finish it … except perhaps the hangover if you decided ‘waste not want not’ the night before.
So Bowl Grabber was born. To celebrate the enjoyment of drinking great wine. Without pomp, ceremony or fear of wasting a drop!
You won’t find Sauvy B and Pinot G here (no disrespect). Instead our Master of Wine (more on him below) has scoured the globe for exciting wines that are easy to drink and represent amazing value.
Our wine comes in bottles, bag-in-box and cans, so are perfect for any occasion; from a midweek glass in front of Netflix to seeing friends in the park.
Think big, source small. We only work with producers who meet our high standards. And of course with flexibility of formats comes environmental benefits. Find out more here.
MASTER OF WINE
Other than knowing what we liked, we didn’t know a great deal about wine. So we found someone who did. Our very own Master Of Wine. Barry J Dick.
A Master of Wine you say? It’s a lofty but deserving title; the highest wine designation a person can earn. There are fewer than 400 in the world, more people can say they have been into space than can call themselves a Master Of Wine!
Our first wine is a delicious Alvarinho
Born in the small town of Mogege in the heart of the Vinho Verde region in Portugal and nurtured by the young and award winning team at Casa de Ventozela, a family run independent business that own a “small” 27 hectares of vineyard.
Let’s get technical
Carefully selected Alvarinho grapes are crushed, chilled and stored for a while at low temperature to draw out the magic flavours of peach, citrus, pear and apple, found in the skins. This is followed by alcoholic fermentation (where clever yeast converts the sugar in the grapes into alcohol) of most of the juice (90%) of the must in big shiny stainless steel tanks; at a temperature carefully controlled between 16°C and 18°C to squeeze out every drop of varietal character. The remaining 10% gets fermented in really expensive French oak barrels to add texture and creamy weight to balance the zippy freshness of the grapes. Portions are meticulously combined to create our award winning Alvarinho!